Tuesday, January 18, 2011

What is "Ministry"?

By Amanda Caton

Back in December I was praying and asking God to speak to me about what ministry looks like for me in the next year.

I have been staffing our third Creative Arts in Worship school and loving every minute! I love teaching and encouraging these young people, they inspire me. However I will not be joining them on their outreach phase which begins in a month and lasts 8 weeks, essentially the rest of their school. I am tempted sometimes to feel as if I have abandoned them, done only half a job.

As I prayed and asked for God's words and guidance as to what His plan was to be for this year. I confessed to God it broke my heart not to be able continue with this team. But God showed me that this year I have a ministry only I can do, a calling only I can fulfill.

I confess I often believe the most "holy" and the "best" way to serve God to is go and tell as many people about Jesus as possible! His great commission is surely the top call? But now God is calling me to care for one, John. John is my ministry this year. Caring, supporting and loving John is my call today, this year and for my life.

God went on to show me that "there will be a breakthrough in our marriage" this year, that this will be a time of building strong foundations.
If we submit,
If we obey,
If we commit,
No compromise.

As far as the school goes, I am deeply committed to them also; they are like family to me. God showed me that I am to be their "prayer warrior" and their "prayer covering". This will be my job in the team and the way I will show my love to them.

I remember about a year ago, our friends Annette and Anita, ministers from New Hampshire, visited our base and prophesied over me that God will be giving me a ministry to family. I wrote this down but never really gave it much thought. But now looking back over the last 7 months of my life I see that my main areas of ministry have been the ministry to my mum and my family in the wake of my dad's death and to my husband as he walks the long road to healing.

Is this ministry any less or greater  than the Great Commission? No it's just different.
It's God's specific call on my life for right now.

And don't worry, I will still be out there whenever I can, sharing Jesus with who ever I can on the streets! I am just coming to an even deeper understanding of what ministry looks like for me in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment