Saturday, April 23, 2011

Easter Saturday

How do you think the disciples felt on Saturday?

This question popped into my brain yesterday as I thought about Good Friday. I imagined myself there watching the one I loved the most, the one I had given everything too be murdered. And not just murdered taunted, beat, whipped, mocked- a crown of thorn thrust onto his head. I don't even know how I would react? 

Would I have ran?
Would I have stayed and endured the whole thing?
Would I have denied him? Would I be capable of that? The sad answer is Yes. I could have been Peter. 

But what about the next day? The Saturday.
The only way I can relate is through the experience of loosing my Dad. I remember waking up the morning after his death and for the first few seconds of that day feeling nothing, just normal. And then as my brain awoke I was hit by a crushing cloud of grief and hopelessness.
Perhaps, in some small way, this is how the disciples felt, if indeed they slept. 

And then there is Sunday! O Sunday! Sunday! Sunday! Now Sunday I can imagine fully. That Sunday saved my life 2000 years later, that Sunday bought me out of my despair, my sin, my self hatred, my hopelessness. That Sunday is the reason I live and breathe and move.  On that Sunday I went from lost to found and everything is more real since. The blinders are off!

Maybe you read this and you have never experienced the power of Jesus in your life. Be encouraged, you are passionately loved by Jesus and he wants you to know him today, it's as simple as saying '"Hi", that's all I did on my first prayer.

From there will begin the greatest adventure of your life! 
Happy Easter









1 comment: