Thursday, December 12, 2013

Thoughts from a New American- A Reflection on my Citizenship Journey

I laid out all my red, white and blue clothing on my bed that morning in October 2013 and considered "What would I wear on this long anticipated day?". I wanted to show the world how proud I was to be become an American. I smiled all morning considering the implications of what was about to happen. I have always been in love with the idea of America. I grew up hearing my parents tell me of their adventures on the west coast and my curiosity was peaked. Even at that young age I imagined one day I would go there. I was totally taken in with the American dream, the idea that you could do and be anything you wanted. I would become transfixed with the images of big cities in the movies, thinking they must be magical places. But it wasn't those things that eventually captured my heart. When I first landed in the states, a little dazed from jet lag, I was greeted by a lady who would become my dear friend, Debi. She had taken out her best tea set and greeted me with a cup of tea and a smile. As we sipped she showed me photos of her family. I was a little taken a back that she was so open with me having just met me but as she told me stories my nerves eased and I began to relax. I don't think anyone had ever welcomed me like that in my whole life. As the years went on my friendships grew and I was able to travel around different states. With each new meeting that same hospitality and openness met me. Americans know hospitality. They are the kindest people I have ever met. But even this was not the most impacting thing. It is their love for their country that captured me. Their pride in their land. I used to think it was fake and wishy washy and I was almost irritated by their patriotism, I mistook it for arrogance. "What makes them think their the greatest country in the world?" But can I be honest? In my opinion it is. America is different. America is revolutionary. It truly is, in my humble opinion, the greatest nation in the world. Any why? The answer is their foundation. They are formed out of resilience, from a dogged determination to have freedom. The people who left England to form this nation did so to be free, they were truly the rebels of the day. And their spirit lives on in the heart of this country today. The heart to fight for freedom and equality and for rights endowed to us by God. One read through the constitution and you see the beautiful formation of this land; it's such a progressive work- establishing God as sovereign and fighting for human freedom as our God given right. Nowadays some may say the country is slipping away from this but I believe the American spirit will always fight for what is right; even if some stray. So that brisk October day I put on my red, white and blue and read my oath of allegiance, holding back the tears. I was and am proud to be an American. It takes nothing away from my British-ness, I mean why would it? The majority of this nation is made up of a mix. It's the melting pot, I have met very few people who are not a mixture of at least two countries. That's the beauty of America, we're all mutts :)
The journey to citizenship was not an easy one but I am so happy I did it. It's like my heart was always meant to find it's way here. I admit I am hopelessly in love with this nation and the people. America is my home now and although I miss my beautiful England this is where I belong now.

1 comment: